These vegan friendly copycat jack in the box tacos are healthier than the original and use different ingredients, while tasting very similar. So this makes for a great dinner when you are trying to avoid fast food, or transitioning to eating healthier, but still have the cravings!
14 oz Red Lentils
8 Cups Water
1/4 Cup Corn Grits
1/4 Cup Tomato Paste-No salt added
2 Tsp Onion Powder
3 Tbsp Masa Corn Flour
1 Tsp Salt
1 Tsp Garlic Powder
1/4 Cup Coconut Aminos
1/4 Tsp Ground Cumin
1/4 Tsp Black Pepper
1/8 Tsp Cayenne Pepper
1 Tsp Lemon Juice
1/4 Cup Taco Sauce
- In a large saucepan, bring lentils and 6 cups of the water to a boil. Once boiling, put lid on and turn down to a low simmer for 20 minutes or until soft (all water should be absorbed).
- In a separate bowl, add the other 2 cups of water, along with the rest of the filling ingredients and stir until all combined.
- Once Lentils are done, pour the rest of the filling ingredients in and stir. Bring to a boil. Once boiling, place lid on and turn down to a simmer for about 10 minutes while the rest of the water absorbs and filling thickens.
- In the meantime, in a small nonstick skillet on medium heat, heat tortillas for about 60 seconds on each side to soften. Once finished, place on a plate and make sure to put paper towels in between each softened tortilla.
- Put a couple of spoonfuls of Avocado Oil into skillet and increase skillet temp to medium high.
- Put about a spoonful of filling mixture into a tortilla, along with half a slice of cheese, and a pinch of spinach.
- Press lightly along taco mixture filled bottom to help taco stay formed (be careful not to do it too hard, otherwise tortilla will rip!)
- Place taco into skillet on each side for 1 minute each or until taco begins to crisp. Tongs may help in being able to flip the taco over.
- Place taco on paper towels so they can soak up the grease.
- Repeat steps 6-9 until you have the amount of tacos you want to make. Add more avocado oil in about halfway through as necessary.
- Freeze the filling you don’t use for next time!
If the filling is too watery, add more corn flour as needed.
The filling is freezable!
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Serving Size: 2 tacos
- Calories: 302
- Sugar: 2g
- Sodium: 367mg
- Fat: 8g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Unsaturated Fat: 6g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 59g
- Fiber: 7g
- Protein: 13g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: vegan tacos, fried tacos, healthier tacos, healthy tacos, copycat jack in the box tacos, homemade hack in the box tacos, vegetarian tacos