This apple cinnamon banana bread is exactly what you need when you want some comfort food, but don’t want all the extra sugar that usually comes with banana bread.
With added ingredients like apples, walnuts, and cinnamon, you are getting an extra boost in nutrients and fiber, so won’t slow you down like other dessert/breakfast recipes can. This vegan friendly recipe is also dairy free and egg free, so anyone with those allergies won’t have to worry!
5 ripe Bananas
1 cup Walnuts
1 cup Applesauce (see notes)
1 tbsp Cinnamon
1/3 cup Monkfruit Sweetener
1 cup Coconut Sugar
1 tsp Baking Soda
1 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
1 1/2 cups Whole Wheat Flour
2 tbsp Flaxseeds
6 tbsp Water
1 scoop unflavored, unsweetened Protein Powder
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Preheat oven 350 degrees
- Mix flaxseeds and water into small bowl and set to the side
- Mash Bananas into large bowl
- Cut up apple (remove core). You can keep the skin on. Add to banana mixture
- Add rest of ingredients (including flaxseed mixture) except walnuts, and use a mixer until smooth
- Crush walnuts into smaller pieces and add to mixture. Stir until well mixed.
- Pour into a 9 x 5 loaf pan
- Cook for 1 hour and 10 minutes. Stick a toothpick or a fork in the middle to see if it is done. If little to no mixture is on the tools, then it is ready to come out of the oven. If not, then put it back in oven until no mixture shows up on toothpick.
- Let sit for about 15 minutes.
If you choose not to use the protein powder in this recipe, you can just add another 1/3 cup of almond or whole wheat flour. I only chose the protein powder because I am plant based and wanted to add an extra boost of protein.
You can make your own healthier applesauce by simply cutting an apple and removing the core, and sticking the remaining parts of the apple in a food processor or blender until smooth.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 70 minutes
- Category: Bread
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: vegan banana bread, healthy banana bread, low sugar banana bread, apple cinnamon bread, vegetarian banana bread, dairy free